We are SO excited! The 25 iPads for our Grade 6s have finally arrived and we will be spending the next week or so getting them prepared for roll out in the classes. This is truly a new era for our school and we are ready to tackle the challenge head-on. I will document our progress here.
Firstly, setting these iPads up is quite a task:
- Switch on, sync to a computer and register each device
- Name each device (Generic name to match the email address)
- Set up a generic email account on each device (for submission of work)
- Sync with iTunes and install required apps
- Design a funky school-branded home screen and set up on each device
- Put screen protectors on the devices
- Draw up an Acceptable Use Policy for the teachers and pupils.
- Create a wiki for uploading of work, videos etc. for pupils to access.
That’s just to start off! I’m sure I haven’t thought of everything, but I’ll update the list as I go along.
Cross-posted at http://just-ipadding-along.posterous.com/
Great news! A spin-off from the first ever TeachMeet at our school, will be our first iPADMeet which will be held on 26 November. At the TeachMeet it became evident that there are a number of teachers and schools looking at or already using iPads. There were many questions around how they were being implemented, ownership, buying of apps, iTunes etc. There and then we realised there was need for a similar TeachMeet forum for the iPad, so here we go…
Please join us and let’s get the conversation started!